I'm disappointed about missing the Maidu re-opening on Saturday [work got in the way, unfortunately] Of course it would have been interesting, but it would have been nice to get some ideas/ inspiration for our exhibit. But I look forward to hearing what everyone has to say about it in class.
Here are my new accession numbers which I hope to meet tomorrow during Castaneda's office hours:
*BAS0147 74-32-2-18
*BAS0183 74-32-2-43
*CER257 80-1-34 [the new addition]
I've been mulling over other people's blogs regarding the exhibit. I agree that it should incorporate NAGPRA and the Cotton collection while somehow showing our process/research as well. I liked Vanessa's titles,"Weaving Life through Native California" and think she makes a valid point about most of the museum visitors may not be familiar with NAGPRA if we were to use it in the title. Also Amanda's idea "Who Collects the Collectors?" sounded interesting.
I also like the idea that many have tossed around, about comparing tourist and authentic objects. I think this would be important to understand.
Hopefully I'll be able to do a little more research tomorrow before class.
Time: 1.5 hours
Lab Hours 5/5
-
So on Wednesday I spent an hour and a half in open lab researching my
baskets. Those are my lab hours for this (?) week.
16 years ago
I'll be in my office until you show up--then we'll go down to the museum! re: that ceramic piece--it may be on the archaeology side, but we'll get your first two objects for sure. We'll also have class discussion about the difference between a basket made for Indigenous use and collected, a basket woven for the collector's market, a "tourist"y-type basket, and the idea of a "fake." (See Shawna's blog). We dont' have any "fakes" in the sense she is imagining--something created to FOOL buyers into thinking they are buying something different than what they are getting (Ralph Shanks has a GREAT story about this and Chumash basketry).
ReplyDelete